To help make sure your next vacation is safe & enjoyable, remember the following:
When Packing, Don't Forget To:
- Bring recent photos of all the children you're traveling with; if you get separated from a child, authorities will need to see his or her photo.
- Mark luggage with your name and the address of your workplace.
- Clean out your wallet or purse before you go, and take only essential credit cards.
- Photocopy all documents, including passport, credit cards and tickets before leaving home and store copies in the hotel safe.
- Use traveler's checks and credit cards. Keep a record of their serial numbers in a separate and safe place in case they are lost or stolen.
- Carry only the cash you need in small denominations and never discuss your plans or the amount of money you are carrying.
In Your Hotel, Make Sure:
- Your door has peepholes and deadbolt locks and use them to identify anyone requesting entry.
- Open the door only if you are certain the person has a legitimate reason to enter your room. If in doubt, call the front desk.
- To watch your luggage when checking in and out.
- You familiarize yourself with the most direct route to and from your room to the fire escapes, elevators and nearest telephone.
- That when you leave your room, you have your key!
- To deposit your valuables in the hotel safe; never leave cash or other valuables in your room.
- Report to the management any suspicious activities in the corridors or rooms.
If Traveling By Car:
- Have a mechanic check and tune it before you leave.
- Never leave wallets, credit cards, checkbooks, or purses in your vehicle.
- Always try to park in well-lighted, busy areas.
- Check the interior of your vehicle before getting in.
- Always lock your car when it's parked, even if the stop is brief.
- When parking for the night, bring all luggage and other valuables into your room.
- Know Curb Colors! Parking requirements vary in different areas- always check signs for guidelines.
- Respect and obey the traffic signs. Don't drink and drive, and always use your seat belt.
- Never pick up hitchhikers.
- Place maps, travel brochures and valuables in the glove compartment or trunk before you get to your destination.
- When visiting local attractions, dress kids in bright clothing and designate a meeting site for lost family members. For small children, write down their names and where they're staying and put it in their pockets.
- Instruct kids not to open hotel room doors to people they don't know.
- Make sure kids are familiar with hotel/motel escape routes. Discuss which adult is responsible for which child/children in an emergency.
- In California, when in a car, children under the age of 6 and weighing less than 60 pounds MUST use a child safety seat, a booster seat or other safety restraint system.
- Kids must not be left alone in a car.
If Traveling With Pets:
- Be aware of ordinances regarding leash laws at beaches, parks and other public areas.
- Find "pet-friendly" lodging on the www.santacruz.org web site under lodging search.
The Santa Cruz County Conference and Visitors Council wishes you a happy and safe trip!